Monday, May 01, 2006

A little holiday

This weekend's holiday was visiting Trish & Cory in Aberdeen. It was about time we visited, as last time Elspeth saw them was before she and I even knew each other, and it was a great weekend. Superb weather, lovely Scottish scenery, great company, smooth whisky, and plenty of chatting. I don't want to spend all day blogging, so I'll stick to a description of the whisky festival.

By some great coincidence, the weekend selected for visiting was the weekend of the Spirit of Speyside festival. Speyside is one of the homes of malt whisky in Scotland, and is only a few dozen miles from Aberdeen, so we spent Saturday being properly introduced to malt whisky. By "we", I guess I mean "I". Elspeth declares that a sip of whisky is enough for her and Cory and Trish are already quite (usage #1) well-versed in the subject. We had a good tour of the Glenfarclas distillery followed by a decent dram of the 10- and 15-yr olds (as Trish notes, I was forced to help out with clearing the table given that Elspeth had had enough, Trish is pregnant and Cory was driving) and a fun time trying out a range of different whiskys at the Dufftown tasting event. The whisky shop was visited more than once!

I've only recently realised that I like whisky. I definitely prefer the Speyside whiskys to the smokier Islay malts, but am looking forward to further explorations. For the record, my list currently stands at:

Glenfarclas 10 years
Glenfarclas 15 years
anCnoc 12 years
Tomintoul 16 years
Highland Park 24 years
Smoky Islay single cask
Cragganmore 12 years
Black Bottle blend

All in, a great weekend. Thanks to Trish & Cory for being excellent hosts and their whisky advice!

No comments: