Sunday, October 31, 2004

A mercenary outing

I went to Salisbury Cathedral yestarday, to sing evensong with the mercenary choir - also known as camerata. It went very well, though I felt very under-rehearsed. Philip and Charlotte had sent the music to me a few weeks ago, but it seems that got nicked from our mail box as well. Still, I coped and didn't make any really noticeable wrong notes! We sang Darke in F, Sanders responses and 'Lord let me know mine end' by Maurice Green, as well as an Aspden psalm chant. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy singing music like that, with a really good group of singers, in a beautiful building. I like the feeling of keeping up a great tradition as well - evensong has been sung there for hundreds of years and I'm part of that now.

It was good to catch up with all my old friends again as well. I mentioned the wedding date to a few people - we were hoping that Philip would be able to play the organ for us. Unfortunately, Camerata are booked to sing evensong at Coventry Cathedral on the 7th May! Ooops.

There would be a photo of salisbury Cathedral here, but the battery had run out in the digital camera ;-)

No comments: