Wednesday, February 02, 2005

A good book

The more observant of you may have noticed the 'currently reading' section at the top left. I don't intend to comment on all the books I read - that's not what this blog is for - but I have to recommend my lastest read to everyone as I think more people should read it.

'The Twins' by Tessa de Loo tells the story of two sisters who are separated at 6 years of age when their parents die, and are reunited 70 years later - after the second world war. One lived in Holland and the otehr in Germany, so they led very different lives and had very different views of the war. Most of the book tells their life history in flashback, alternating between them.

This book was beautifully written (well, translated as it was originally written in Dutch), and I found it very hard to put down. Both the sister's stories made me realise how terrible the war was for those who lived through it, although 'survived' through it might be a better phrase. I've never really though of what the war was like for ordinary german people before, and this made me realise that they suffered as well. It also made me want to find out more about the war - I only have a very basic knowledge and I think I should know more. It's been quite a timely read, with all the news stories on Auschwitz recently. So go out, get a copy and see what you think!

No comments: