Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Officers and gentlemen

I've just been away for a couple of days at Shrivenham - the military training college. I was at a conference on 'Integrating CFD and wind tunnel experiments' and very good it was too - unbelievably, all the presentations were interesting and all of them kept to time. I was of course the only female out of forty delegates, which was the cause of much amusement to me. One presenter started his talk by saying 'thank you Lady and Gentlemen' - nice to be singled out! And I don't think I opened a door all conference - someone always held it open for me.

We were staying in the officers mess on the campus, which was a bit like being back at university - single study bedrooms with showers down the hallway. The place was full of army-types, all of whom seemed to have different uniforms, and all of whom greeted us politely every time they passed us in the corridor. So it wasn't entirely like being back at university!

Still, a good conference which reminded me that there are some benefits to my job. I got back to a vegetable patch full of growing things as well! Oh, and a lovely husband and his fish ;-)

No comments: