Saturday, June 16, 2007

Chartered Financial Analyst

I have spent much of the time since last posting here studying for my level III CFA exam, which I took 2 weeks ago. I'm reasonably confident of the result, as I was more comfortable with the questions than in either of the previous levels, but these things can be deceptive. It'll be a couple of months before I get the results, and then that'll be that. If I pass then I only need work another year or so in a job that relates to a part of the investment process, and I'll have earned my CFA charter and the right to put 3 more letters after my name.

It's been quite a journey, from a position two years ago where I had little knowledge and less experience of how the world of finance and investment worked, to now where I have a broad base of understanding and am confident in my ability to learn more.

The only question now is whether it was worth the effort. The material I have learned is only tangentially relevant to the work I'm doing now, and I'm not sure that my future career path lies any more closely aligned with investment management. On the other hand, completion of a big professional qualification like this can only work in my favour in showing ability and eagerness to learn quickly in new environments, commercial aptitude, and discipline in fitting in around 1000 hours of study around work and play over the last two years.

Time will tell I suppose. In any case, if you hear me talking about doing any more study over the next couple of years, remind me that after a dozen years of studying for exams: GCSEs, A-levels, Degree PhD, CFA, that it's really time for a rest.

No comments: