Thursday, July 12, 2007

Badminton

After a few re-writes, this post is about badminton. Yesterday I went to Bedford & County Badminton Club for the first time. Having not played badminton, or indeed any concerted sport, for over a year, I’ve been overdue a return. They’ve even gone and changed the rules since last time I played!

I played very poorly. There’ are so many aspects of the game which seem to fall away, or at least go into hiding, when you’re away from it for so long. Positioning, shot selection, timing, power, agility, technical shot making: it was all missing last night. I have a long way to go before I’m back up to par, let alone competing with some of the better players at the club. I trust that the basics will continue to come back quickly so that I can begin to improve on the harder stuff.

So, this post could have been about competitiveness, drive, disappointment, new environments. Instead I’ll keep those thoughts to myself, and look forward to telling you how great it all is once I’ve remembered how to play the game. Besides, all this typing really isn’t doing my aching shoulder any good…

No comments: