Saturday, July 02, 2005

Graduation part 1

We journeyed to Cambridge on thursday for the first family graduation of the season. My brother Andy is now a Master of Engineering and a Bachelor of Arts, and probably has a certificate to prove it. It was a nice day, reminding me of my own graduation in the same senate house 4 years ago. Next week's graduation will probably remind Elspeth of hers!

We went with my sister Rachel and nephew Samuel. I can thoroughly recommend to anyone who is going to a graduation at Cambridge to take someone's small child with you, as we got moved to the front of the queue and were placed in prime position on the front row. After the ceremony we mooched around for a while, then headed to Trinity, Andy's college, to have some lunch on hallowed turf, enjoy the playing of a good quality brass quintet, examine the treasures of the Wren library, etc. It rained quite considerably just as we were finishing lunch, but this didn't dampen the fun of the day. Congratulations again to Andy on his degree success!


Quite pleasant robes really, considering. Not quite as showy as the Reading PhD ones though...


Not all memories evoked from the day in Cambridge were good ones. The moment I espied the chap in red I was transported back a number of years to a maths lecture series I really didn't enjoy.


Andy having a Cambridge moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are in fact the best robes currently in existence, and shall remain so for at least 3 years.

Tim Mosedale said...

Good anonymous post Andy. I'm glad to see you're approaching the PhD in the right mindset with the "at least" there too...