Friday, December 09, 2005

Back to work

After 2 weeks away from the office I have been back in Southwark Towers this week. Admittedly the first 2 days of those 2 weeks I had a training course at a hotel in Victoria (London, not British Columbia), and for the fourth day I was ill with food poisoning from said course, and for the rest of the time I was studying, but 2 weeks away is still pleasant.

To quickly tie up loose ends: the exam went well. More guesswork than I would like, but not too much stabbing in the dark. No idea how I performed relative to a pass/fail decision, as we don't get told what the pass mark is, so we'll just have to wait until some time at the end of January (precisely when? We don't get told).

Anyway, it's been a tough week back. Monday was the team away day, a trip to Oxford for an overpriced treasure hunt. It was fairly fun though - deciphering clues, finding landmarks, harrassing tourists etc. The twist being that we had an 8 foot length of rope which we all (10 of use) had to keep hold of all the time. Yes. Quite. We then had some proper bonding in the minibus on the way home (i.e. drinking games, drinking from the bottle of gin or malibu) and a nice meal in a kosher restaurant. All in, a good day if rather alcohol-fuelled.

The other difficult day of work was yesterday, the combined team annual meeting/christmas lunch. Last year the traditional cambridge jolly was rather spoiled by my impending viva the next day, so I made the most of it this year. Plenty of drink all round, which led to some interesting moments and a true building of team spirit. Or rather more than team spirit in the case of two particular people. Hehehe. Gossip is fun. Discretion is overrated.

Can't work out how to finish this post. So I'll just stop.

No comments: